Thought from New Zealand




Chor Ee (4th from left)with BIDP participants

 
The great thing about reflection, especially when trying to remember an event from 6 months ago, is that the memories that come flooding back are the ones that are tied to the strongest emotions. I was asked at the end of 2012 to give feedback on my time with the BIDP students in June covering the topic of DNA detection technologies, more specifically QPCR.

 Leading up to the training itself, I remember being really nervous, maybe with a little stress and anxiety thrown in for good measure. I was coming to train a group of people I had never met, on a brand of instruments that I had never used and in a laboratory I had never seen. Thankfully, Melanie and Nurul from HAT were willing to give up their Saturday to walk me through the lab and the instrumentation, giving me a little more confidence in what I was doing. So, as I reflect on my time with the BIDP, the first mention I would like to make is to appreciate the amazing, professional and dedicated staff at HAT who organised and oversaw the BIDP training programme and who always went the extra mile to make my job as the trainer an easy one.

Chocolates, who does not love chocolates? Figuring that most people like chocolates, I brought some with me from New Zealand to use as an incentive for class participation. However, on the first day of lectures, I was in for a surprise. Not even the tastiest, creamiest chocolate was enough to entice the students to participate in class voluntarily. Thankfully they all had their names on cards in front of them, so encouraging a little class participation was not too hard. Maybe it was the topic being covered, or that a few of the more brave ones had to get the ball rolling, but soon I was being impressed by the calibre of the students, their friendliness, and even their sense of humour, that was present in the lecture room. On a personal note, hearing each team present a QPCR platform and application as a group activity, gave me a sense of pride in them. Their intelligence, ability to communicate effectively and team work was great to watch. I believe they will go far in the careers and Malaysia will be a better place because of their excellence.

Finally, it would be a miss for me not to mention the kind hospitality that was extended to me while in Penang. Having grown up in Penang, it was a real treat to be taken out for lunch and being well fed. My appreciation goes out to Encik Azhar, Mr Choo, Nurul, Mel, Khairul, Eunice and others from HAT and Agilent. It was also an honour to have visits from Talentcorp officials (Puan Norliza Sahar -Senior Manager and Hj Wan Amizan -Manager), who took a personal interest in the BIDP students and the programme, giving time out of their busy schedules to interact with them and to ask some really great questions. It gives me hope to know that there are leaders like these who have the vision to see our nation succeed and who are willing to invest resources into building our future.

Thank you for taking the time to read these simple thoughts. I look forward to the second phase of the BIDP training in February 2013. Drop by for a visit if you are interested, but ask the HAT staff first..."

 
With Mel (Class monitor)
 

By: Chor Ee
(Instructor for qPCR and DNA Detection technology)
 
Chor Ee is a molecular scientist in Wellington Hospital Laboratory Services, New Zealand and a registered scientist with the NZ Medical Laboratory Science Board . Experienced in various industries including molecular diagnostics, genetic research, dairy processing, medical laboratory testing and environmental analysis . An expert in real time PCR assay for the detection of pandemic influenza (H1N1) 2009 virus having adapted the CDC protocol for routine diagnostics



No comments:

Post a Comment